Tuesday, July 11, 2017

The Needs of the Many...

In The Wrath of Khan (1982), Spock says, “Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.”  I would rephrase this and say that the "rights of the many outweigh the foolish desires of the few".  And I would apply this to fireworks and anything else that disturbs my right to enjoy my home in peace and quiet.

Yes, I have griped about fireworks for several years.  It is apparent that the folks who are charged with protecting and preserving the health, safety and welfare of the residents of this state have absolutely no idea what that means.  Which is why on Saturday night the local Township Board granted two permits to different groups to have professional firework displays.  While these displays were both more than two miles from my home, my neighbors all trooped outside to find out where all the noise was coming from.  I called the police to voice a complaint.  And then I called back 45 minutes later to say that now citizens were setting off fireworks all around me in violation of state law.  It is no wonder that I get so much junk mail for hearing aids.  Manufacturers and sellers must figure that we all will be deaf soon.

All of which led to me waking up with another migraine on Sunday morning.  So, Sunday was a quiet day.  Until about three in the afternoon.  I was sitting outside trying to finish Daniel Silva's latest novel.  (I have an advance copy and since I am going to meet him on Thursday, I wanted to have read it already.)  And there was this blues, country, rock music coming from who knows where.  I knew it was not anyone on my street, since almost nobody was home.  So I drove around the block.  Nope, not there either.  So then I went walking toward the sound.  But three blocks away I still did not know where the noise was coming from.

I gave up and went in the house to read.  All the doors and windows were closed.   And then around seven o'clock I heard the damn music IN MY HOME!  You have got to be kidding me.  

I got in my car and headed into the next subdivision.  After several blocks I saw a woman walking her dog and asked her if she knew where the noise was.  She said that it was a few blocks further over.  She said that if someone wanted to have a live band they should rent a hall.  Amen.

So, I drove around until I finally saw the house.  They had a stage set up in the driveway.  A live band was playing.  As I slowed, cause folks were all over the place, some guy who might have been in the band waved.  Really?  So he walked to the car and I told him that people a mile away could hear the noise.  His attitude was 'so what'?  Then he said it was too bad cause it was only seven o'clock and tell everyone to enjoy the music.  

I drove around the corner and called the police to make a complaint.  Yeah, this is the same township that forbids loud bells on ice cream trucks, but the dispatcher is telling me there is no noise ordinance.  I just want to scream.  VERY LOUDLY.

I feel I am living in a world where no one thinks about anyone else.  They'll just do whatever they want.  And it is not just fireworks and loud music.  I have listened to married couples scream at each other so loudly and with such foul language that I have gone inside and once, when I was inside, had to close my windows.  One neighbor was cutting his lawn at ten o'clock at night and got mad when I called the police.  (We have ordinances that set the time for when you can cut.)  And don't even mention the folks who walk their dogs so they can crap on your lawn.  One woman had the nerve to ask me where her dog should poop when I complained.  I suggested her lawn.  Duh!

Am I just getting old and cranky?  Do the majority of us not have rights to enjoy peace and quiet without putting up with folks infringing on that?  Is there an island for sale someplace?  Calgon take me away....

17 comments:

  1. I don't think it's as bad around our house, Denise (you've really got it bad), but we live in a condo development. Still, fireworks are all around us, too late (11:00 at night is too late).
    I'm sorry you've had to go through this. You do have a legal right to 'quiet enjoyment.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Legally in mIchigan, condo owners cannot set off fireworks because you can only do it on land you own or with the owner's permission. I have a friend in a condo who says their association board members patrol the area. But, you can still hear everyone else. I am wondering how well sound-proofed the local hospital is.

      Delete
  2. Well I live in a 9 floor apartment building and it is usually extremely quiet (unless they are replacing balconies) any fireworks are set off by people in the neighbourhood. However, there is one guy above us who uses his phone on his balcony and talks at the top of his voice and it drives us bonkers if we have the windows open or are on our balcony too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up when we had phone boxes on the street and folks did not want you standing anywhere near them if they were inside. Now people talk loudly on their cell phones about private matters for the whole world to hear. I cannot even shop in Costco without listening to everyone on their cells.

      Delete
    2. Cell phones have become an addictive disease haven't they?

      Delete
  3. We have that discussion here on a regular basis, Denise. There was a near disaster in my son-in-law's family over the 4th. They were in bed asleep when fire trucks came pulling into their driveway. Neighbors had been shooting off fireworks and done lodged somewhere near their house -- it wasn't quite out -- and set their house on fire. The room right below their two kids' bedroom was burning. Another few minutes might have cost the kids their lives had not a neighbor noticed. Scary...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how scary that is. Many years ago an arsonist set our ski boat on fire. It was stored next to the house and if a neighbor hadn't noticed the fire, our house would have gone up in flames. As it was the boat burned down to the trailer.

      Delete
  4. You brought back a memory of my husband waking up in the middle of the night and seeing the garage of our neighbor about 3 doors down on fire! That one ended well - no injuries. I don't think it was fireworks related. Fireworks scare me, but other things scare me as much. I do worry about explosions they never find a cause for. In Binghamton, where I live, there have been explosions over the years. One cause unknown explosion wiped out a house and the entire family in there, and is now a small city park where the house stood. I wonder how many people know the story when they pass by that park but I do. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some guy in a nearby community set himself on fire last week. Original reports said he had a meth lab in his home. Or what is left of it.

      Delete
  5. People are inconsiderate morons. That sense of entitlement he showed to you would get me going and I hate that. I just don't understand how an ice cream truck or wind chimes are not ok but his blaring music and loudness is aok. I bet there were quite a few drinking so I wonder if they would love it if you got a large ghetto blaster and blasted the 1812 Overture at 8am....oh, they just have to get over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about people being morons. Just look at who they elected in my country. It's all about what the individual wants.

      Delete
  6. This reminded me of something from the Bible in the book of Judges 21:25(b) "and the people did whatever seemed right int heir own eyes." Won't get all preachy on you, but the pastor at church preached about this last Sunday. What struck me in comparison to what you wrote above is that people didn't care then if their actions impacted others; some people these days don't care how their actions may or may not impact others. They just want to do what they want to do when they want to do it.In your case you were impacted by having a migraine and then being annoyed with the loud music, etc. I was mortified when we were having our pool redone last year when the chippers arrived at 6:15 a.m. on a Saturday morning to start their work that would get heard over a big area. I knew they were coming, but no one told me it would be that early (and I will remember to ask the next time). They were LOUD but in checking the ordinances (because I was waiting for the police to show up) in Phoenix from May to September you can start loud work at 6 a.m. (due to heat); other months it is 7 a.m. People need to stop doing what they think is good in their own minds and start showing a bit more kindness I do believe.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not preachy at all. You don't need to be religious to understand common courtesy. Or maybe you do, I do not know. I met a couple once who moved from Phoenix to Santa Fe telling me that the heat in AZ was just too oppressive after 8:00 am. Still, who wants to hear construction at six in the morning?

      Delete
  7. Yeah, fireworks can be pretty annoying. My most hated noisemakers are the gas-powered leaf blowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you may notice those guys wear earplugs. Maybe that is why a friend of mine is deaf. He had a gas-powered one years ago.

      Delete
  8. I'm someone who values peace and serenity and it would of bothered me, too. But because I have a ulcer, I try not to let it get to me. These days, people are all for themselves with no regard for others. It's ALL ABOUT THEM.

    I wish I lived far away from people....but that'snot going to happen.

    Oh I was at the GYM this morning, and was on the threadmill watching one of those TV Judges. This gal, had been living in a subdivision for 20 years. Then a year ago, this single guy moved into property that is not in the subdivision - but is behind her house. He bought 4 acres and has a shooting range. His shooting and the noise of it all, has her stretched beyond her nerves and her dog has suffered. They played a video, of it, and I thought, I would go mad. Probably sell.

    Like I said, people just don't care about other people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I am guessing that the community did not have ordinance restrictions on property use? At least they would not allow that here. Heck, we cannot shoot a gun for any reason around here.

      Delete