Thursday, July 6, 2017

The AWFs are back

I could write a new post about my experience the last three days with fireworks, but instead, later on in this post, I will repost part of what I wrote July 11, 2013.  Now, when I say 'fireworks', I do not mean those displays like they have on the National Mall every year.  There are relatively few fireworks lighting up the sky here.  What I am talking about is more like a day in Mosul or Fallujah.  Just unbelievable noise from god knows what devices.

I went to bed at midnight on the 4th with a raging migraine.  At 12:35 am I called the police and was told that their phones are ringing off the hooks and that they would send an officer out as soon as they could.  I was awoken again at 2 AM and again at 4 AM.  I woke up with the migraine I went to sleep with but now I had the nausea to boot.  It was not a pleasant morning.  

I watched an interview with two former soldiers who discussed the anguish of veterans when fireworks go off.  I read an article by an expert who said that a good 50% of fireworks do not explode as intended.  I read about a guy who burned down his garage and another who injured himself and found out his medical insurance doesn't cover idiots.

No one on my street was setting off fireworks.  I could not even see exactly where they were coming from.  What we have is a few AWFs disturbing entire communities.  And the incompetents in the State Legislature are talking about their less than 4 million in revenue from firework sales in a budget of over 50 Billion dollars as justification for allowing all of us to be disturbed.

OKAY.  Enough.  Here are some thoughts (edited) from 2013.  If you search my blogs for 'fireworks' you will find I have discussed this many times.

AWFs (otherwise known as assholes with fireworks)


Again last night just before midnight some AWF was setting off fireworks.  This has been going on for a month now.  My neighbor asked me if I heard them.  Well, I am not deaf, so I guess so.  Last night I called the police.  If I was younger, I'd go sit out in the general area of the noise and wait so I could take a picture and tell the officer exactly where they are.

But this is what I find really irritating on top of the noise:
Noise ordinance regulations:  Home occupant lawn, tree and landscape care. The mowing of lawn(s), blowing of refuse or leaves, removal or trimming of trees, and/or performing of other outdoor landscaping by an occupant of residential property using any gas or electric powered machine between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and between 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. on Saturday, Sunday and government holidays.
The above is right out of our Township ordinances.  So let me get this straight.  On the 4th of July I cannot cut my lawn after 9:00 P.M., but I can set off fireworks until midnight.  Oh, I can also start setting them off at 8:00 in the morning while I am waiting to cut my lawn! 
Now, I know that you cannot hear my lawnmower from the next street over, but I can hear fireworks from several blocks, or miles, away!  How dies this make any sense at all!!!
Well it doesn't.  When I was on the Township Board, those hours for weekends and holidays were changed because someone complained about their neighbor.  I think I voted 'no' but can't swear to it.  In my first term of office back in the 1980's a trustee wanted us to ban wind chimes.  We didn't.  But eventually this got passed:
No frozen confection vendors shall:  Utilize any bell, chime or other noise making device beyond a moderate noise level for the purpose of attracting persons to buy the frozen confection.  (Think 'Good Humor')
So, we find the ice cream guy offensive to our peace of mind, but not the AWFs. 
I can tell you right now that the quality of life in my community is in the toilet.  There is no way the local police force can track down these AWFs, since they make noise for five minutes, then run and hide and come back thirty minutes later and do it again.  

Alas, with the apparent brain drain I see in politics, I doubt this situation will ever change.  Next year, 2018, I will do what my neighbors did this year.  They headed off to Scotland.

16 comments:

  1. Thank goodness I don't live in a neighborhood where there were lots of fireworks. We don't have many young people here and I think that helps. There were a few of the loud noisy ones but most were done by 10 p.m. Our ordinance does not allow those that shoot further than 6 feet in the air but I did see some that went higher. And now all is quiet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some idiot was just setting some bombs off about 30 minutes ago. State law actually allows for 30 days a year. And NO limits on what you buy.

      Delete
  2. I know that no amount of fireworks are tolerable for some. Yet, family celebrations that included fireworks have quite often been part of our lives. I cannot think of any solution that would be entirely fair to fireworks lovers and that would solidly protect those that it tormented.
    Visit me @ Life & Faith in Caneyhead. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Four hours on non-stop noise is more than I can tolerate. I felt sorry for the dog I heard barking and I usually complain about that too.

      Delete
  3. 27 years ago, when my cousin who lives in Brooklyn was pregnant and due in mid July, she told me her elaborate plans to get to the hospital if she went into labor on July 4. I thought she was hysterical and overreacting. Fast forward to July 4, 2013 when I visited the cousin and also my best friend, who also lived in Brooklyn. I saw firsthand why my cousin had been so frightened of the possibility she would go into labor and have to leave her house Denise, Brooklyn was like a war zone with the booming and the explosions. The fireworks went on all night with barely a pause. None of us slept. The next day, and I am not exaggerating, they had plows out plowing the debris from the major streets; it was so thick. Kids were in the piles, trying to scavenge the still usable items. I could not imagine any war vet with PTSD, or a dog owner, surviving that eight hour bombardment without extreme trauma. Like Barbara, I could wish for a good resolution to this. Having a brother in law who is autistic,I also think of those with autism who would suffer greatly from all that noise. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was a kid, we had a family friend who lost his arm in a fireworks mishap. I have always disliked them, but now the non-stop noise for the sake of noise is making me physically ill.

      Delete
  4. I'm really sorry you have to endure this every year, Denise. I've complained about the noise in my area, but it's nothing compared to your experience. Ugh. 💚💚💚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it certainly seems that the rights of the few outweigh the rights of the many to enjoy peace and quiet in their homes.

      Delete
  5. We even got a few fireworks last night!! Why on earth? Unfortunately the park outside our windows appears to attract your AFWs. Didn't realise that about veterans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Michigan you can only use fireworks on property you own. I have a friend who lives in a condo and she said they have folks patrolling the area and enforcing the law.

      Delete
    2. I didn't know the law, but just checked, and it says that people have to obtain a permit to set of fireworks in a park. Of course there are yards backing on to the park so it could be there. I didn't look.

      Delete
    3. Of course, if you are going to set them off when they are not allowed, I highly doubt you will worry about where you do it.

      Delete
  6. I'm sending your link to my son! We've had this same discussion four times already this week. Actually we've had a couple houses and sheds catch fire here this year. It's extremely hot and dry and FINALLY in the paper last night it said they were probably going to ban personal fireworks for the rest of the month. Unfortunately for us, the week around the 24th of July is Pioneer Days (like founders days) here in Utah and is a big deal. Plus all the little incorporated towns do their own version of that from June through August. There's just no way for us to get away from the bloomin' racket! I do hope your migraine finally worked itself out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to call the police again last night, but some others had already complained. Last year it was very dry and the state did nothing. We did have homes burned. I've heard that if you burn your own property the insurance cos are refusing to pay. Expensive lesson.

      Delete
  7. I am with you and feel they should be banned. If you want fireworks, go to a place where they offer real fireworks. I think the bi-laws were done before homemade fireworks were all the rage and now that it is big money, it's hard to get it changed which is downright silly. I don't know why but I didn't realize my mom has PTSD. I knew they reminded her of the bombs she went through during WW2 but never thought she was suffering with this. It needs to stop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a petition online to ban the fireworks and folks were talking about the bombs during WW II. Turns out the petition was regarding the UK and the folks had been young children at the time.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.