Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Life and all its Irritations

I have been dealing with a medical issue for almost one week.  I saw a doctor on Sunday who told me what I already knew.  I have a bad case of hives.

The good news is he can treat it.  The bad news is he does not know what caused it.  The most likely cause seems to be an allergic reaction.  Duh!  The agent?  Most likely grass.

Yes, I, the gardener, am allergic to grass.  Among other things.  Like trees, flower pollen, mold, bees, wasps, green flies....  If it is outside, I am probably allergic to it.

A few weeks ago I had what looked like a bite on my face.  It itched like crazy and I thought it was a bite from creature unknown.  Now that I have hives all over my neck and face, I realize that the first incidence was just a very localized reaction to 'something'.  Here is a picture taken Sunday night after a steroid shot and lots of drugs.  It looks almost 100% better than it did before I saw the doctor.
I forgot to take my meds before bed last night so I woke up at 5:00 am with terrible itching.  Not that I don't normally wake up at that hour, but without the itch is preferable.

I have always cut my own lawn.  As a matter of fact, one year I got a 5HP self-propelled lawn mower for my Mother's Day gift.  And some folks wonder why I say my ex was not considerate.

Anyway, I hate to think I can no longer garden.  The grass will need to be cut sometime this week and I am wondering if I need to wrap up like I am blowing snow off the drive instead of cutting grass.  Plus, I likely need to wear a face mask and gloves.

I suppose it could be something other than grass or pollen.  But I could think of nothing that has changed in housekeeping or diet that would cause this.  And as bad as it looks, it feels worse.

And now, I will go sit and try to think of anything but scratching.  I have another ten hours before I can put anymore cream on the itch.  Arrghhh!

18 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks miserable. My allergies have gotten worse as I've grown older, never had much trouble when I was younger. I'm now allergic to poison ivy, something that never bothered me when I was younger and have to carry an Epi pen because of wasp sting, I looked about like you after one stung me in the neck. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have an Epipen. Mine have continually gotten worse and I have gone through desensitization twice. Maybe I need to start again.

      Delete
  2. Oh that sucks! My mom in law became allergic to trees and their home was surrounded by a forest. They loved camping and she loved to sit by the fire but she couldn't do that any more. They never did move and they still went camping. I would wear loose long-sleeved clothing, garden gloves or maybe even summer gloves (you can feel like Grace Kelly), a summer hat and a scarf...obviously once the hives are gone. When i got severe poison ivy, I was covered from head to toe, I couldn't even wear underwear because I was so swollen. I had to get a shot because i was having a hard time breathing...anyway, the only thing that alleviated that itch was ice cold water. i literally filled the tub with cold water and dumped ice cubes in it and sat in it...that helped the most. I think the nerves were deadened (is that a word? Am i spelling it right??) by the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first I thought this was poison ivy, but I am extremely careful in the garden. Ice packs do help. I broke down and took one of the atarax pills the doctor prescribed and while the itching stopped, I slept almost all day.

      Delete
  3. Oh, Denise, that really sucks. I feel your...itch. I've had hives but nothing that bad. I've had some interesting reactions and hive attacks. I'm allergic to most antibiotics, sulfa drugs, and two classes of blood pressure meds, and dread taking any new med or any antibiotc- thankfully, nothing has happened that requires an epi-pen or a trip to the ER.....yet. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my sons is allergic to some antibiotics. That sucks too. I am allergic to NSAIDS, which is what this doctor wanted to prescribe.

      Delete
  4. How awful for you, I really sympathise. If it looks bad in the picture and you say it is better, I can`t imagine what it was like before. I do hope it turns out you are not allergic to grass and garden stuff. Maybe you did get bitten and that is what brought you out in hives later. Hope that`s what it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. If it is a bite, I would like to know what bit me. From what I've read it could even be a sun allergy.

      Delete
  5. Goodness! When I had a bad case of hives from eating plums practically around the clock the doctor had me taking mega doses of Benadryl. I'd sleep for 4 to 6 hours, then itch, take more and sleep again. Hope you can narrow down the culprit.
    Visit me @ Life & Faith in Caneyhead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I avoided Benadryl cause I did not want to sleep. It took 12 hours for one atarax pill to wear off. I'll deal with the discomfort as best I can today.

      Delete
  6. Oh my! That looks so painful. I hope the treatment works fast. Sorry aboht the allergy. Urgh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sympathies. I've been on a benedryl regimen, too many bug bites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did he/she ask you to do an allergy test? I think they can do them with just a blood test now. You just have to choose the group type of allergens. Like plants or animals or a couple others I don't remember....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had the testing and have gone through desensitization. Most likely my grass allergy caused this.

      Delete
    2. That looks so painful! I haven't had many allergies beyond some unexpected sneezing, but I understand that they can begin at any time. I had a friend who had never been allergic to shrimp almost die after enjoying dinner out at a seafood restaurant. Yikes! I hope you are feeling better!

      Delete
    3. Yes, they can happen at any time. My massage therapist is 40 and found out last year that she is allergic to tree nuts, which she loves.

      Delete
  9. You poor lady. I feel your pain. I am allergic to most everything this time of year too. I have to take perscription meds to get through the worst of the pollen season, then again during leaf raking season. I dare say you will find a way around it. Take care and I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is definitely something not right when gardeners have pollen allergies.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.