Friday, June 9, 2017

Flashback Friday for Me

I have no idea where my time goes.  Well, I do sorta, but even so...  I have old files to clean out along with my house, books to read, movies and TV to watch, Charlie, my garden, yoga, food to buy and cook...So, It is no wonder I do not have time to blog, but...

I have decided to go back through all my old posts and delete any that shed a little too much light on subjects I'd rather not have in the blogosphere forever.  I decided this after reading some blogs where folks post all sorts of details about their life that is really TMI, IMO.

I hope to do one month a day until I am done.  In the process I read this post from January, 2010 and felt the same way today, so I am rerunning it.  BTW, it is the last sentence that really resonates with me today.

Beam me Up Scotty

I love Science Fiction.  I do not always understand it.  I couldn't tell you how many times I have seen the Matrix movies.  And couldn't explain it if my life depended on it.

'Battlestar Galactica', though, I loved and understood.  The youngest of my three sons did not like it. He said it was too political. Well, it was. But I understood it. I didn't like it, but I knew why people played the games they played to survive. C'mon, their world had been destroyed and they did not know whom to trust.  Watching all of it on DVD or the internet over a three month period helped it stay fresh in my mind (versus five seasons on TV).  And 'The Plan' was a hoot.  The Cylons had a plan and I would constantly be asking, 'WHAT is it?'

For something more realistic, that may have been science fiction to our grandparents when they were young, I highly recommend 'From Earth to the Moon'.  It is a twelve hour series that was done for HBO.  Sadly, when I watched the episodes of the later moon landings, I did not remember that men had lived up there for three days.  I guess I got so used to men in space, I went on with my business.  If nothing bad happened, I didn't pay much attention.  Shame on me.

The space program was ultimately killed by, you guessed it, politics.  Hard for me to find the good in that.  If we are going to kill something off, I say let it be politics.

15 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more. I'm a big science fiction fan too, though I never watched Battle Star Galactica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the original 'Battlestar Gallactica', starring Lorne Greene of 'Bonanza' fame, from the '70s, but haven't seen the newer version. 'From the Earth to the Moon' looks interesting - must check it out. Thanks! I agree with you about politics. Sadly, it has its tentacles in everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'[m probably one of those who shares too much on my blog. But that is what it is for. My family reads it and knows what I'm doing. I have been thinking that they might know too much of what I'm doing so maybe I should try a new blog. LOL! I am not really a science fiction fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've often thought I would like an anonymous blog so I can say what I truly mean, lol.

      Delete
  4. Another science fiction fan here. I wasn't into Battlestar Gallactica though. Star Trek was always my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only seen Star Trek in reruns here and there. I was in college when it premiered and too busy for television.

      Delete
  5. I am a Trekkie from way back, never saw the rest though, like Battlestar Galactica or From the Earth to the Moon. Nowadays I real a lot of sci fi. Must admit I thought it was disgusting when I heard the space explorations were being abandoned and left to other countries. Hadn't realised it was politics, but then I don't pay a lot of attention to politics I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a SF fan! But I don't hate it. I've never seen any of the Star Trek episodes OR any of the Star Wars movies (oh, she admitted it!). I know, I know. But I know ABOUT them. And the two Dr. Who episodes I saw were entertaining.

    Thanks for making me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny comment about Battlestar Galactica. I don't remember much about it, but I don't remember it being "political." I wonder what exactly that means?

    I hadn't thought about looking at past posts to see if I would rather they weren't out "there" anymore. Hmmm. maybe I should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only ever saw the reboot and not the original. Everyone was out for themself and you never knew who to trust.

      Delete
  8. I was into science fiction even before the first episode of Star Trek aired. So, it may amaze you if I admit I haven't seen either the original or the rebooted Battlestar Galactica. (Well, I saw one of the originals; enough to never return.) I did watch Lost in Space, though, because it was so stupid it was good. Guess I'm kind of strange. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really a shame that we eliminated the space program. Something that could unite all of us, plus a boost for scientific research.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Resounding good idea in that last sentence!
    Visit me @ Life & Faith in Caneyhead. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm for "killing politics". Like they say about money - it's the source of all evil.
    Science fiction - not my cup of tea, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.