Monday, May 1, 2017

The Merry Month of May

This is a repost, sorta,  of a post from 2011.  It occurred to me as I was sitting here reading my book that today is May 1 and 29 years ago I was being sworn into office.  When I read it I realized that the weather is pretty much still the same - rain, some more rain, and then rain again.  Here is that updated post:  
As I sit here in my office blogging, I have a view of  cloudy skies, and just a drizzle of rain, as opposed to last night's incredible downpour.  It seems as though the March winds and April showers have combined to form the month of Marpril and I have had enough of it.  I am looking forward to May.

Actually, when I think of the month of May, there are lots of good memories.  First of all, my father was born on May 9.  Oftentimes, it was the second Sunday in May which meant his birthday and Mother's Day were celebrated together. 

Other May dates I remember are May 1, 1988, when I was sworn into office at West Bloomfield Town Hall, the old building on Orchard Lake Road, not the new edifice.  That's me on the right with Clerk Sharon Law and Supervisor Dorothy McIntosh.   Sharon and I would both retire in 2008, but unfortunately, Dorothy died in October, 1989. 







Then there is May 4, 1993, when I received my Master of Business Administration degree.  That's my sister, Arlene, next to me. (Oh, how much better digital photos would be.)

But, the most memorable May of all has to be 1969.  On May 4 of that year, I flew to Heathrow Airport outside London, England to begin what would be ten weeks of traveling in Europe.  On May 5, travelling into the City from the airport we passed the Queen's motorcade.  And on May 7 we went to Buckingham Palace to stand with the crowds and watch the 'Changing of the Guard'.  With all the people standing around that we could have talked to, we ran into someone from Detroit.  Small world. And if you are wondering how I possibly remembered all that it is because I kept a diary of the trip which I still have.

Unfortunately, I can show you no pictures of me from that trip.  They were all on slides in my basement.  When I tried to have them printed most of them were useless.  And I am sure some of my younger readers are wondering WTH 'slides' are.

Oh, for the month of May and warmer days.  And all the wonderful memories.  And there is still more to come.  The newest member of the Hammond clan is due to arrive this month.  Stay tuned.

12 comments:

  1. Happy May Day Denise!
    There are slide converters to put them in a digital format. I did my entire family 35mm archive - took awhile but worth the effort. If the slides are in relatively decent condition, they will convert, then you can edit them as a .jpg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy May day to you and I promise I am not goose stepping with tanks:) You have fond memories. 29 Years ago on April 30th, my dad passed away and this day would have been the first day of the visitation...it's all a blur. On a better note, i remember slides and am thankful my mom never tried this because I heard they often fade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They fade terribly and I only have myself to blame. I could have had them converted twenty years ago instead of waiting. I still remember my Dad every Christmas eve which is when he died.

      Delete
  3. I have used the slide converters with good success. I enjoyed reading your re-post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are enjoying a beautifully perfect May Day, but I've been tired and sleepy all day from the "beautiful" allergies. My son was born on May 9th! Congrats on the new addition! Praying all goes well. I got a new grandson on March 26th. Loving it! 😊
    The AtoZ is over! Time now for about 12 hours sleep. 😔 Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have taken to wearing my sunglasses outside even though there is no sun. Keeps the pollen out of my eyes. I think I am going to buy some safety goggles for gardening. Allergies are no fun.

      Delete
  5. Fun to take an old post and update it like you did! May sounds like a great month for you and yours, especially this particular May with the addition of a new member; always something to be joyful about!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy May Day. How come your slides were useless. We have a stack of them which I keep meaning to get put onto CDs - I hope they won't be useless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colors were badly faded. The quality of what was left was pretty degraded. I picked out about 100 of more than 1000. They are fine for me as memories, but not much else.

      Delete
  7. Slides... My dad had TONS of slides which my sister stored in her attic after our parents passed away. I'll bet those hummers are nothing but wrinkles now up there in that heat for 20 years! Whose idea were they anyway... rolls eyes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stored mine in a basement. Just as bad as heat.

      Delete
  8. Lovely memories, Denise. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.