Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge - February 15



Welcome to the Wednesday Hodgepodge.  I rarely participate in the hodgepodge, but I usually read what others are saying. Today I decided to jump on the bandwagon, just because I found the questions personally interesting. If you wish to read others, hop on over to From This Side of the Pond. So, here goes.

1. What did you call your grandparents? If it's something unusual tell us the story behind the name. If you're a grandparent what do your grands call you? Who chose your moniker?

I only had one set of living grandparents. I called them Gramma and Grampa. I did have a great-grandmother and she was 'Babcia'. It is Polish for Grandmother and certainly sounds better than the Russian 'Babushka', which is something you wear on your head. At least in this country. I remember my guide in Russia telling me she was very confused when she heard tourists talking about 'babushkas' and meaning 'head scarf' when she was thinking 'grandmother'.  My grandson calls me 'Bubba'. At least that is what it sounds like. We'll see how that progresses. Maybe I'll have him call me Babcia?

2. Ever taken a road trip along the California Coast? If so what was the highlight of your trek? If not, any desire to do so? If you were to take a trip along the California Coast what's one attraction you'd have on your must-see list?
Back in the mid 1970's my husband and I drove out west. We drove the Pacific Coast from Tillamook, Oregon all the way down to San Diego, California. The highlight was certainly the scenery. I had never seen anything like it. The Monterey Peninsula may have been the highlight. I just saw a travel program on Hearst's Castle. Definitely would go back there if I was in the area.  I would not repeat leaving our dirty laundry in Eugene, Oregon.  We had to have the hotel send it to our home in Michigan.

3. What are three things you don't know how to do?
a.  Bowling? I just never got any good at it despite being on a team in high school.  My average was about 110.  Just shows how bad we all must have been, LOL.
b.  Tissue sectioning. OK. That is not something most people ever do, but it was a required lab class in Histology. I never could get a nice clean cut on the frozen tissues. It was a real slog for me.
c.  Keep my mouth shut? I am sure there are many folks who would give an 'Amen' to that.

4. Tom Peters is quoted as saying, 'Celebrate what you want to see more of.' If that's true what will you celebrate and more importantly, how will you celebrate?
Intelligence? Education?   I am happy to have been able to give scholarships to fifteen students in The Mike Ilitch School of Business at Wayne State University last year.  Money was distributed from a fund I set up many years ago.  (BTW, who the heck is Tom Peters?  I only know Ben.)

5. Thursday (February 16) is National Almond Day. Do you like almonds? Which would you prefer-an Almond Joy or a macaron? What's something you make that calls for almonds?
I love almonds. I love all nuts. I have a friend who developed a tree nut allergy at the age of 40. She is devastated, as I would be if that happened to me. I put almonds in my yogurt, salads, oatmeal. I like an Almond Joy, but prefer Mounds cause it has dark chocolate. Guess I can't have everything.  While I enjoy fresh macaroons with dark chocolate, I am not of a fan of French macarons.

6. What does Saturday morning look like at your house?
Quiet. No grandson to watch. They changed my 10:00 yoga class to 8:30, so Saturdays will be looking differently in the future.  I'll be able to go back to having brunch with friends, as I will do this Saturday.  Then I'll run errands.

7. Share with us a favorite book you've read this winter.
This has to be A Man Called Ove by Fredrick Backman.  I laughed and I cried.  It is just a beautiful story.  I am looking forward to watching the movie.  It is such a beautiful story.  Oh, I already said that.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
I am wondering how long I can hold out and not write a post about former elected officials whom I have known.  One was either a pathological liar or suffering from Alzheimer's.  Another often acted strangely and said weird stuff and then was diagnosed with brain cancer.  Every time something stupid is said by your president, I think of these folks and I wonder....

Have a nice week.  Thanks for stopping by.

13 comments:

  1. That does sound like an interesting book. We're Polish and I called my grandmother Baba and my mom was known as Baba by her grandchildren. Not sure what grandson will call us. We refer to ourselves as Grandma and Grandpa. Daughter named hubby's parents Meemaw and Papa when she was about 18 months old and it stuck with them.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My oldest called my father Papa. Always interesting to hear what names kids give to parents and grandparents.

      Delete
  2. Interesting questions and answers, Denise. My German grandparents were "Oma" and "Opa". Don't remember what my Canadian ones were called, as I rarely saw them. "Babcia" sounds better than "Bubba". Hopefully your grandson will get there, eventually. That must have been a fabulous road trip down the west coast! I drove from San Diego up to Santa Maria in 2010 and hope to do the whole of California one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fabulous drive. One I would love to do again.

      Delete
  3. Just stopping by from The Hodgepodge, and I enjoyed reading your answers. That's an interesting random thought...
    Kathy (Reflections)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, it is an interesting thought. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Babcia, I like that. Is it Bab-SEE-a, or Bab-KEY-a? And 3c. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bab-chee. At least that is how we said it.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed reading your hodgepodge. I am trying to do this now. Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the hodgepodge and Bubba doesn't suit you:) I think of the football player or some guy with no teeth who lives in the south making moonshine. My grandparents were Oma and Opa. I would love to drive along the coast and would love to visit Hearst Castle. I have no idea how to hook up a computer or a TV...completely lost. I also have no idea how to eat just a piece of chocolate, I see chocolate, I eat it all.....anyone who can eat just one piece earns my respectful wrath:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good description of Bubba, LOL. I eat on dark chocolate caramel a day. I have gotten better over the years. Unfortunately, I still consider a candy bar 'one piece' of chocolate.

      Delete
  7. I just shared A Man Called Ove with a friend, and she loved it too. Wow, good for you dispersing scholarship monies. That's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.