Sunday, February 26, 2017

No Longer Watching Oscar

When I was in my tweens and teens I loved watching the Oscar ceremony.  I tried to see every picture that had ever won the Best Picture award, aided by the old movies shown on CKLW with Bill Kennedy.  As I got older I went to the movies all the time.  But once I had my children, it was more likely that I would watch a movie on VHS or HBO.

Along the way, I found that I did not even care to see the winning film.  I have never seen the 1963 winner 'Tom Jones'. although I did see three of the other nominees.  It would be 1975 when I passed on 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'.  With baby number one in 1977, movie watching and Oscar ceremonies were not high on my list.  I look at winners and realize that I saw most of them long after their release.

But somewhere along the way I got turned off by the winners.  The 1994 win for 'Forrest Gump'  and the 1996 winner were not favorites of mine.  As a matter of fact, in 1996 I would have walked out of the theater showing 'The English Patient' but I had gone with someone and did not have a ride home.  More recently I could not sit through 'Birdman' and wanted to scream out loud at 'The Artist'.

I like that I can sit at home and view movies without folks talking and if they are really bad, (the latest attempt to watch a 'critically acclaimed' movie was 'Boyhood') I can just hit the stop button and forget it without having dished out any money.

I know I am not alone in this as a local columnist wrote in today's paper about how there is a disconnect between popular pictures with moviegoers and what the critics love.   When I saw "Lost in Translation" (Golden Globe win, no Oscar) I was the one who was lost.  Same thing with the 2004 nominated 'Sideways'.  It would definitely be on my ten worst list (with the aforementioned English Patient at the top.)

Several years ago I cheered the retirement one of the local film critics.  My boys and I used to joke that if we never followed her recommendation we would be OK.  I guess to each his own.  But just being timely, quirky, lavish (ugh, 'Moulin Rouge'), diverse --- well, that is not what makes entertainment in my book.  But that is just me.

Enjoy the show if you are watching.  Me, I'll be long asleep.

P.S.  Of some of this sounds familiar I just realized I had the same thoughts last year at this time.

24 comments:

  1. Years ago I was like you and the Oscars, but then life happened too. Nowadays we are so busy we hardly ever catch a movie, and that's okay.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie and I watched Zootopia this week. I thought it was well done.

      Delete
  2. They sure don't make movies the way they used to! I agree; it's better to watch at home where you can turn it off at will. "Forrest Gump" was so contrived. I was rolling my eyes throughout (especially the John Lennon segment) but did enjoy Gary Sinise's performance as the one-legged Lieutenant. "Lost in Translation" would have been better with crisper editing - it really dragged, but I enjoyed the performances of Bill Murray and Scarlett Johannson. Haven't seen any of the nominated films this year and I stopped watching awards shows a few years back. I'll either record them, to view later, fast-forwarding through the commercials and boring parts, or just go online to see who won. This could be a generational thing. LOL At our age, who cares, yes? ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too enjoyed Gary Sinise, but the rest? Ugh. Maybe it is generational. I get up watching really great movies. Now, they are few and far between.

      Delete
  3. Well, you know I will be watching the Oscars and you can get the Mist from my blog:) it will be a throwback to the70's since I think it will be political. I liked Lost In Translastion and Love The Artist! I can't stand Boyhood and wanted to give the mother and the teen a slap. Can't stand in Boredom( in the Bedroom) or Atonement...snore. I believe Shawshank Redemption should have won and not Forrest Gump which was not the first to have the special effects of someone with a famous person...that got to Zelig. I haven't seen most of the films either since i can't seem to find the time to go to the movies so I wait for video but I can watch other films that should have been nominated but weren't. There are always snubs. I will also welcome the day when they don't nominate Meryl Streep just because she was in a movie. Now my nominations are for best and worst dressed, which movie or actor are you happy that they won and which one is the stupidest to even be nominated. There will always be the "What Drug Are They On" nomination. So I will be watching and loving every moment of the 3+ hour slog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you will be watching and I will be reading about it tomorrow. Have fun.

      Delete
  4. We too gave up watching the Oscars and don't see all that many movies these days anyway. A friend went to see La La Land and said it was dreadful. I too don't care who wins. Either I like the sound of a film or don't Re critics, if they pan something I know I will like the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jo, the critics and the public seem to be out of sync.

      Delete
    2. Wish I had been watching now Denise, sounds like a right fiasco, naming the wrong movie as the winner.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I just saw the article online. But by then I was fast asleep.

      Delete
  5. I wonder if it's just something that happens with age? When I was in my teens and 20s, I was all into what movies were at theaters and who the most famous celebrities are. Now I just don't care. We don't even go to the movies anymore--we just find something On Demand. Usually a mindless comedy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie for pointing out that as we get older our tastes change. You are so right. I hooked back up with Netflix awhile back to watch some TV shows from years and years ago that I was too busy to see at the time they were on.

      Delete
  6. Right on Sister.
    By the way, why do I get this e-mail a day later than everyone else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the email must have something to do with who is hosting the blog. I get emails for some blogs I follow on the same day, some a day late, and one today came two days late.

      Delete
  7. Harley and I usually watch but we missed it this year. I love to watch the fashion. I don't watch movies and I didn't know any of these! I love how political they all get!! Sock it to him I say!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the opening monologue on the net yesterday. I especially liked the comments about YKW being racist and the 245 countries that hate us.

      Delete
  8. We watched about the first two hours of the Oscars, then went to bed early. Too many movies, actors, and other people I never heard of. I could have done with more movie clips and fewer schmaltzy introductions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss Bob Hope and the programs with Billy Crystal as hosts. And there are so many folks I never heard of either. It just seems to drag and now I can just catch highlights on the web.

      Delete
  9. I used to watch the Oscars but not anymore. I didn't watch this past Sunday either. I just didn't care about any of the movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there are so many award shows that I think the Oscars have lost some of their lustre.

      Delete
  10. I rarely watch movies (and if I do, I stream one off my Amazon Prime account) but this year, I actually watched the Oscars because of the political climate but didn't stay up long enough to see the infamous Wrong Winner event. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazon, Netflix and the local library. Everything is history by the time I see it.

      Delete
  11. I have not watched them for years. Any award shows really. I love movies, but am generally not interested in the awards.

    I wish you a wonderful weekend, Denise :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's cold here but at least the sun is shining.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.