Sunday, January 1, 2017

The Seven-Year Itch?

Seven years ago today I started writing this blog.  Four people viewed it and I thank them very much, whomever they were.  I have re-posted that first blog at the bottom.

I no longer post every day or even write about what I have done.  The blog has definitely evolved, I just don't know what it has evolved into.  I've often thought I should decide on one topic and stick with it, but I no longer have the dedication for that.  I've even thought on a yearly basis of just quitting, but if and when I do, I will definitely let my few readers know.  I hate it when a blogger I follow just drops off the face of the earth - and I wonder did they actually 'drop off'?

On Friday I posted a picture of a cocktail napkin that I used several years ago at a party for my staff.  It is not my resolution - I don't make them, never have, never will - but I posted it as a suggestion.  I was in the beauty shop - I hate going and wish I could just send my head in - and I always wonder why I don't wear ear plugs there.  It is like one big 'pity party'.  And folks talk about ALL their intimate business.  My hairdresser was telling me about a client who, some 20 years after her divorce, was still fixated on her ex.  I would never last long in that profession 'cause I am sure I would be telling all my clients to deal with it and STFU.

On Saturday a man was being interviewed on the radio about 2016 and his plans for 2017.  He said that despite losing his mother on Christmas Eve - something I can really relate to - he had a fairly good year.  For 2017 he was resolving to get all the negativity out of his life and think positive.  He explained that if his friends couldn't get with the 'think positive thoughts' theme he was going to 'kick them to the curb' - nicely, but still kick them.

I think that thinking positively will be especially important in the coming year.  We all could probably do with a little house-cleaning of the sort where we get rid of the toxic folks we know.  Of course, at the rate I am going I'll have no friends left to attend my funeral, assuming they all outlive me, lol.  But keeping toxic friends or relatives in our lives is just not healthy - mentally or physically speaking.

So, here I am seven years after I started this rambling all over the universe blog, and I will continue, with or without readers.  Think of it as my legacy, one that will live in the cloud for eons to come.  Oh, I can see the smiles on your faces and feel all the gratitude you are sending my way for sharing my thoughts with you 😉.

Have a very Happy New Year!


01/01/10 - Day one.

I retired on November 21, 2008. I have spent a good deal of the time since then answering the question (now a big pain in the you-know-what): 'So, how do like retirement?' You would think I had either just returned from experiencing an alien abduction or at least had been the first person ever to survive retirement. EVERYBODY wants to hear the answer.

It's retirement. I love it. I can do what I want whenever I want. Or not do it, too.

When I retired, a long-time friend (that's you Debbie) suggested that I start a blog. Yeah, right. Like I had time to do this. Then I would be wondering, just what DID I do last Friday? It was Friday wasn't it?

So, now that my days and adventures all run together, I have decided to write a blog each night about what has occurred during my day. Sounds boring, I know. And I'll probably not even remember half the stuff.

Today was New Year's Day. I made French Onion Soup and Quiche Lorraine. Both recipes straight out of Julia Child's first cookbook. And the first time I ever made any of her recipes. While cooking I also watched 'The Man from Laramie', Criminal Minds, and 'The Last Days'.

Watching TV, movies and cooking from scratch are all things I didn't get to do enough of when I was employed. Ah, living life. C'est bon.

14 comments:

  1. As one of your regular readers, Happy New Year Denise. Don't stick to one topic, I like it when people talk about everything and anything. It's more interesting to read IMHOP. Congratulations on your 7 year blogiversary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure that retirement should not be like work - no need to focus. Have a very Happy New Year.

      Delete
  2. Blogs and bloggers do evolve - I can attest to that. It also bothers me immensely when a blogger just falls off the face of the earth.
    Keep doing what you are doing - I like you everything and anything style too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tami. I just need more time to blog and read all the blogs I enjoy.

      Delete
  3. I love what you said about hating to go to the hairdresser - how you wish you could just send your head in. OMG, that hit me. I feel the same way. LOL

    I've been blogging for years- since it first came out. I just do whatever I want, say whatever I feel at the time. Only this past year, did I take a break. Those do help. Anyway, Happy New Years and keep on blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started with a website back in the mid-nineties, so I have been online in one form or another for over 20 years. A blog is much less structured than a website and much easier. I have periodic breaks and will continue to have them I am sure. Happy New Year.

      Delete
  4. Happy blog anniversary! It is fun to see how our blogging habits and what we write about change over the years. May you have as many more wonderful years blogging that you want to do!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty. Keep sharing with us.

      Delete
  5. I hear people complain all the time...I'm in a job that gives the access to do it. I have had people still talk about their ex as if it happened yesterday and they obviously have no clue how to move on. I am so into getting rid of people who are toxic because it doesn't help. Life is too short for ll this crap anyway. I am here for my friends when crap does come their way but I know they know how to move on. Love your first post and I hope we can read many more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some wkmen are drama queens. They love to go on and on to get attention. I have no patience or sympathy when they cannot move on. Glad I do not have your job. Or any job for that matter.

      Delete
  6. Thought you were setting us up to announce your blogging retirement. So glad that is not the case. And...WB salons a/k/a beauty parlors are the worst places to go without ear protection. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hairdresser whom I have been with since 1981, once had to leave a popular salon here cause her customers threaten to leave her. The noise was intolerable. I got into it once with the receptionist at a salon. She kept turning up the volume on the music. My hairdresser kept turning it down. I finally said something to her and she said she liked it loud. I told her she wasn't paying to be there she was getting paid. End of the music.

      Delete
  7. I hate it too when bloggers just quit blogging. Someone needs to let their community know what happened to them. I have instructed my family to at least make an announcement on my blog should I up and die without warning. I am happy you are still blogging. I enjoy reading! I couldn't have been a hairdresser either. But nurses heard a lot of the same chatter. We just didn't see the same people week after week!! Happy New Year Denise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, I cannot tell you how many times over the 20+ years I was in public office that I had to grit my teeth while someone went on and on at a meeting. Glad you enjoy reading the blog. The feeling is mutual.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.