Friday, January 20, 2017

Memories from Twenty Years Ago

Back in 1996, one of my employees asked everyone in our office to name their 'dream man'.  She wouldn't tell us why, but she said it was to be a surprise.  No one was supposed to tell anyone who they picked and we did not, not until the surprise was revealed.  I only remember four of the ten or so men named: Elvis Presley, Denzel Washington, Brad Pitt, and - wait for it - Donald Trump.

Our staff always went on an outing at Christmas.  A concert, a dinner, a train ride....    Here we all are on the dinner train in 1994 - that's me in the center in the little black dress.  BTW, I lost that watch I am wearing at a soccer game while I sat in my car.  I never did find it.

We also exchanged gifts.  It was great fun.  When the day came for the gift exchange, our 'dream man'  was the star.  So, movies on VHS, music CDs, and in the case of Trump - his book - whichever one it was.

Imagine the faces of the women who did not choose Trump.  We were all appalled, yet not surprised. The woman who chose him was interested in only one thing when it came to men - MONEY.  We were all like OMG - are you kidding me????  She was not too happy with the things we said about him.

The woman who chose him died several years ago (everyone else in this photo is still around, including the gray haired lady next to me).  I wonder what she would be thinking today if she were still alive.  I won't tell you what I am thinking.  I try to keep this discussion civil.

We were a hard working group.  We worked overtime and even came in on days off if necessary.  I worked weekends on occasion.  What a thought for the new guy!

7 comments:

  1. 20 years ago I was planning my wedding-hahahaaaa. I love this picture and I am certain you keep in touch with some of the gals and others have slipped on by. I was almost expecting you to say that Brad Pitt came to visit you all:) Yes, today the Darth Vader music keeps going through my head

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Five of us are still in the area and keep in touch. Good choice for inauguration music. My grandson and I watched Zootopia while the rest of the world watched DC.

      Delete
  2. If money was a primary motivator, I could easily think of 10 rich but decent (as far as I know) men I would choose. I can't imagine "dream man" and "Donald Trump" being used in the same sentence - except maybe by Putin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Well, I guess you agree with the rest of us. It is one of those events at work I will never forget.

      Delete
  3. Twenty years ago today....I can't remember. But I can remember 30 years ago today, because it was just about the day that my spouse lost his job when the store he was working in closed. Now, so many are in that situation. Today, not a happy day, indeed. But you look like you all enjoyed working together (well, most of you.) Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donald Trump? Seriously? Twenty years ago, who would ever have believed what has happened now? It's a frightening new world. :( In 1996 I was two years into my petcare business. The corporate world abandoned me in 1993. Just as well, as I was completely burned out by that point, having worked up to 60 hours a week regularly for some time, due to massive cutbacks. You and your group look lovely. It's nice that you're still in contact with some of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all thought he was a joke back then. Not so funny now.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.