Monday, January 2, 2017

Follow up to my Christmas Day

We had a great Christmas, 2016.  Probably one of the best ever IMO.  For starters, just about everything we ate was made ahead of time.  I only had to reheat those dishes and make the Brussels Sprouts - more about that in a minute.  It meant that I was not totally exhausted when everyone went back to their homes.

Charlie was gaga-eyed over seeing 'Santa' right here having dinner with us.  Below is a pic of my brother-in-law, minus the Santa hat he came in with.  (Why did I not take a picture???)  Charlie was looking at him and going 'ho, ho, ho'.  It was so cute.




We also figured out a way to keep young Charles at the dinner table.
We set up his little train set around the plate. Unfortunately, peanut butter kinda gums up the works, lol.  But he stayed put and that was all that mattered.








One of my gifts was a new camera with a higher resolution than my current one.  The only drawback seems to be that my zoom is now 3X instead of 20X, so if I want pics of those deer I'll have to grab the old camera.  We'll see if the pics turn out clearer in the future posts.

Another gift was a Fannie Farmer Cookbook, 1896.  I think my sister bought this so I could have a good laugh.  I plan to tell you more about the book in the coming months, maybe as a Friday Fannie feature.  I mean, who wouldn't like to cook old-style.  For example, Fannie says to cut your string beans into one-inch pieces and boil for three hours.  Just what kind of beans were they growing back then?

Fannie also does not recommend ice cream for dessert.  She says 'Hygienically speaking, they cannot be recommended for the final course of a dinner, as cold mixtures reduce the temperature of the stomach, thus retarding digestion until the normal temperature is again reached.'  Hmmm.  So when exactly would you eat ice cream, other than her recommendation to eat in the sick room.  I guess I messed up with those Brussels waffles with ice cream for Christmas dinner.

I also want to tell you about my Brussels sprouts.  I had a test recipe from America's Test Kitchen to try and it was very good.  I am not supposed to tell you the recipe before they publish it, but I will share it with you if you send me an email.  The sprouts were browned on the stove and then cooked in chicken stock.  They were served with bacon and caramelized onions.  We all agreed that they were very good.  (We also agreed that while ATK said the recipe should serve four, we wondered who those four folks were that could eat two pounds of sprouts.)  While I usually roast my Brussels sprouts, I may very well use this recipe in the future.  Here is a pic that was taken rather quickly before everyone dived into them.


I hope that whatever holiday you celebrated these past few weeks, you enjoyed them to the fullest with family and friends.  And I thank each of you for coming here and sharing my celebrations with me.

10 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Denise! If you can't have ice-cream for dessert, perhaps you can work that into the main course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of eating ice cream with my meal. Thanks Cynthia.

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year, Denise! Those Brussels sprouts look delicious! I enjoyed all your photos, thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Windows 10 has a great photo editing program, so I can't take all the credit for pic quality. I'll have to start shooting with the camera to see how it works.

      Delete
  3. Those Brussels sprouts look delicious! I'm going to make them soon! Looked like and sounded like a great Christmas!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, Denise. Enjoy your new camera. I'm sure you will enjoy that cookbook, to. I don't like cooking that much, but I love looking through vintage cookbooks. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy Brussels sprouts! I say, have ice cream for dinner and Brussels sprouts for dessert - who cares what order you eat them in as long as you get all the food groups (ice cream is a food group, right?). Your Christmas sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cookbook is hilarious.... I'm tempted to see what would happen if I did boil my stringbeans for three hours.... haha. The train idea was also really nifty!

    Those Brussels look good. I never ate them before I came to Canada, but how you pictured them is exactly how everyone up here has been eating them, so I guess it's a traditional recipe.

    In any case, Happy New Years! The best to you in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found out that Friday is National Bean Day. Boiling for three hours is no way to treat a bean.

      Delete
  7. I would love it if Santa sat across from me. Your grandson is a cutie:) Sometimes one can get good information from the old cookbooks

    ReplyDelete