Tuesday, April 19, 2016

P: Pride and Prejudice and Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore


I never had to take English Literature in high school or college. Consequently, there are many novels that are required reading for most students that I never had to read. I doubt that I would have ever read Pride and Prejudice if I had not seen the version dramatized in 1995 with Colin Firth starring as Darcy.  Swoon.  Double swoon.  Oh, hell, just go into a faint on that chaise of mine.

That is when I finally bought a copy of the book and decided to give it the literary attention it deserved - without the swoon and googly eyes.

It was most enjoyable.  Since that time, I have read nearly all of the Austen novels and the Bronte novels.  And I got to enjoy them without having to write some silly report on what the author was trying to say.  

Reading for the enjoyment of 'just reading' is what it is all about.


Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.  Hugging the coastline of Lake Superior for more than 40 miles, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is a sight to behold.




13 comments:

  1. I have that version of Pride and Prejudice. Love it. The other night I saw Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson and Hugh Grant. Love that too. I did do English Lit. and it was my favourite subject. Beautiful rocks and falls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I watched Sense and Sensibility too. Another one of the books on my shelf.

      Delete
  2. I know it's horrible to say, but I enjoyed the recent Pride and Prejudice and Zombies movie a lot... :D Also, apparently P&P is one of the VERY few mandatory readings that is written by a woman... go figure.

    @TarkabarkaHolgy from
    The Multicolored Diary
    MopDog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't seen it but the trailers looked interesting.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read Pride and Prejudice; not sure how I got through high school without doing so. Another book to add to my to be read list :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read Pride and Prejudice. Doubt that I will either. What I hated about English reading assignments in school was searching for some deeper meaning. I just want to read for enjoyment. I don't look for the deep meanings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think making kids think too much about what they read is why they get turned off. I also don't like that 'read 20 minutes a day' for kids. Many will treat it as a chore and quit after 20 minutes.

      Delete
  5. Jane Austen was a very remarkable woman, especially considering how hard it was to be a female writer during her time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never had to read this for my high school English, either. This is on my list of "reading once retired". (And those pictured rocks are gorgeous. I had never heard of them. Wow.) Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't recall reading this book. But I checked it out from our local library on CD and been listing to it as I paint on my mask.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still have to read this book and see this film version..I know! The place you show here would be wonderful to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Colin Firth - yum :) And the lake scene was inspired! We have to watch the second half of the series with my mother on special days like her birthday and mother's day. It's too long to watch it all, but I have lost count how many times we have seen it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.