Sunday, March 20, 2016

No Beginning, No End?

Just two months ago I blogged about the Flint water crisis.  It is still in the headlines or in the front page of the daily papers nearly every day.  This past week our 'esteemed' Governor testified before a Congressional committee.  I was disgusted - again.

This is what happens when a businessman who promotes himself as 'not a politician' is in charge.  He fails to understand that the electorate, whether or not they buy his product, is his 'customer'.  Politics in government is not just a 'bunch of laws' written by folks for no purpose but their own benefit.  Politicians understand responding to the voters.  Non-politicians 'pooh-pooh' that idea and call it 'politics'.

I never considered myself to be a politician, but I did understand that to many people that is exactly what I was.  The fact that I had a full-time job as an administrator was inconsequential to them. Many did not know that I was actually doing the work in my office and assumed that my support staff was really doing my job.  Even vendors were often surprised to find out that I was the person making the decisions.

The public saw me on TV when they watched Board meetings.  That is what many thought my sole purpose was.  When it came to my legislative duties on the Board, I set my personal agenda aside (not that I ever had one). When it came time to vote on an issue, I tried to remember why I was sitting there.  I was elected to serve the majority wishes and unless it was morally objectionable or illegal, that is what I did.  (I believe I voted to create a downtown area even though I think it is a stupid idea.  Why be the lone 'no' vote if it really doesn't change things?)

Certainly our Governor was not listening to the voters in Flint who showed up with jugs of brown water back in 2014.  I was appalled and I was not anywhere near the Flint area (it's about 70 highway miles north of me).  This saga goes on and on it was so avoidable.  They certainly could have found a way to keep Flint on the Detroit water system if they really tried, at least in my opinion and experience dealing with Detroit water officials when I was in office.  It is the duty of elected officials to insure the public health, safety and welfare.  Listen and respond.

Here is a video of the Governor testifying and being told to resign:


7 comments:

  1. Politicians do what the electorate want? Never. Sorry I have never been political and as a rule don't think much of politicians Denise. Obviously there are exceptions but.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you look at the 'good' politicians out there, and yes, I've met them, they are responsive. The problem is the media wants to sell 'news' and good guys don't make the headlines. When our local electorate kicked out an official in the 1990's our local paper's editor was crushed. We had eight years of no inf-fighting and they had no headlines. They eventually closed the paper. Well-run communities around here never make the papers. Too bad you have had such a terrible experience with them.

      Delete
  2. What a shame! I don't know much about it as it is not a local headline for me, but it is clear those people were failed. Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And failed over and over again. It's really unbelievable that this could happen in the 21st Century in America.

      Delete
  3. It is so angersome especially when you know it all boils down to money...greed. This did not have to happen and these people have suffered enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if you watch Denise, but on Good Morning America this morning they were talking about the Flint river situation. I believe I heard that Sam (the weatherman) is doing a programme about it on the Weather Channel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed it but I am sure the local paper will have another story.

      Delete