Saturday, February 6, 2016

Reliving my Life Through Television

Well, I am still coughing, so instead of being at yoga class I am sitting here in front of my computer screen.  Lucky you.  Not so happy me.

OTOH, I read four books this week and watched a lot of television in the evening  (children's shows during the day do not count as my TV hours).  Among my viewing this week were two docudramas, one harking back to the 1990's, the other more recent.

The more recent drama was about Bernie Madoff.  I admit that I did not follow events concerning Madoff as they were occurring with much interest.  I did follow what was happening in the markets at that time.  I still remember being at a conference in September, 2008 when one of my brokers came up to me and reported that AIG was in deep trouble.  I was holding a lot of AIG commercial paper in the Township investment accounts that the broker had sold to me.  Paper that was rated AAA.  If I couldn't rely on the rating agencies, who could I rely on?  As the program on Madoff showed, folks also couldn't rely on the SEC.  Fortunately, we never lost any money on the investment.

The sobering fact that came across in a one-hour special after the movie was the statement that there are other Ponzi schemes out there being investigated.  Big ones.  Billion dollar ones, not the small stuff as reported in today's local papers.  Who do you trust to handle your money?

The other program was the first part of a ten-part series on O.J. Simpson.   I told myself I probably would not enjoy the program, but would at least try the first episode.  Well, I am hooked.  If this first episode is any indicator, this is a very well-written and well-acted drama.

I still remember being glued to the TV screen watching the Ford Bronco navigate the freeways.  And in the end, I remember exactly where I was when the verdict came down.  I was in Port Huron at a meeting.  It was lunch time and they turned on the TV sets in the dining room and broadcast the verdict.  "We interrupt your lunch for this important announcement..."

My thoughts after the first episode were that here is some famous guy who gets away with abusing his wife just because he is some 'famous guy'.  The police were called to his home how many times? And then his attorney's actions when it came time to surrender to the police made me want to puke. Actually, as good as the dramatization was, I felt like I needed a shower when it was over.

So here we have two people trading on their name and reputation.  Now they both sit in prison, where they belong, even if OJ isn't sitting there for murder.

If only the system had worked as it should have, when it should have, some suffering could have been eliminated.  No murders, no suicides, no ruined families.

10 comments:

  1. I do hope you feel better soon Denise. Sounds like you have been having a bad time of it. Heard about these two shows but didn't end up watching either. I remember the Ford Bronco scenes too. I am still not sure if he was innocent or guilty. I know most people thought he was guilty. As for Ponzi schemes, I feel so sorry for people who are caught in them especially when - as you said - the paper was vouched for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sure looks guilty in that first episode. That whole glove issue was bogus. I've had leather gloves get wet and shrink. Had to throw them out.

      Delete
    2. I thought he always looked guilty. Never had shrinking gloves, but other leather things that did that. Coat sleeves for one.

      Delete
  2. Hoping that you feel better soon. I look forward to reading your A-Z posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on them. Are you participating this year?

      Delete
  3. I missed both shows and your post makes me question my decision... they sound good. It's amazing to me that many people aren't in jail (not just Bernie Madoff and, I think, one other) after participating in a variety of ways in the financial meltdown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ordinarily I would have skipped both of these. Glad I opted to view them. I just hope the OJ series keeps the quality throughout.

      Delete
  4. Glad they are both in prison. Sad how much it became big "hits" on TV. I always feel bad for the families and victims. I was disgusted by the verdict and I remember being in my boss's office with him and one other co-worker...we were all stunned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so sad that folks fall for attorney presentation. Just like they fall for glib politicians. And I say that having been a politician for 20+ years.

      Delete
  5. Great post dear too much informative for everyone. I think these are the basic things which is very necessary for every blogger. Those who don't know how to start they can know from here one by one what they should have to do.
    Thanks for sharing your such a great and useful information.

    ReplyDelete