Sunday, February 21, 2016

Getting Organized

I like to think I am pretty well-organized.  Wrong.  I realized yesterday that I would make a lousy secretary (and not just because I am a lousy typist).

I have lots of files for 'stuff'.  My problem is doing the actual filing of said 'stuff'.

Yesterday I had an early morning pastry class on Polish desserts.  Then I had a couple of errands to run.  But I had promised myself that once I got home, I would clean all the clutter off my desk.

Yikes.  I had about six inches of paper to file once it was all in one stack.  So, I decided that before I stated filing, I needed to clean out whatever was already in files to make room.  Like who needs their car insurance papers from 2014?  or 2009?  or- you get the idea.  Home insurance too.  And old medical test results.

Once I had cleaned and shredded I started working on the pile.  How long had it been accumulating? Well, there were insurance papers from October.  2014.

My desk looks really nice.  I can see the wood.  But I am far from being done going through 'stuff' and trashing.  It seems that even in a world where so much is done electronically (I did go online and sign-up to have my Medicare statements delivered by email), I still manage to have lots of paper.  I file things away, eventually, and then keep filing.

I think I need to go through all my garden info.  Much of it is now online and many old documents I used to keep can probably be thrown out.  That will be my next task.  Hopefully it will be done before Spring arrives which is right around the corner.

BTW, if you would like to see some glorious pastries, wander on over to my instructor's website. Much of what I know about baking I have learned from him over the years.  Check out his blog page link at the top.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a generally a neat and organized person, but at least once a year I go through my papers to throw out what I don't need. I always feel lighter afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK-I have insurance papers much older:) I have been thinking I need to shred stuff and I have such a pile, I have to get to it ASAP. It's crazy how fast it piles up. What's funny is that I made a pledge to myself at the beginning of this year to file stuff away every week..oops

    ReplyDelete