Sunday, January 31, 2016

Health Matters

I had planned to spend my week writing blog posts for A to Z.  Instead, I have spent it coughing and wheezing.

I finally went into the doctor's office yesterday and was diagnosed with acute bronchitis and asthma. I actually had to have an asthma treatment and came home with four different medications.

I have had asthma for most of my life.  Over the years I've learned how to deal with it and haven't used an inhaler in over ten years.  My wheezing was so bad yesterday that the nurse said I needed a treatment as soon as I walked in the door.

What really makes me angry about this is that I am pretty sure I picked up whatever germ I inhaled at my grandson's gym group.  We all went on a Thursday night and one little girl walked in coughing up a lung.  Her mother followed her around with Kleenex.  Another little boy was so tired he couldn't even get himself up off the floor.  WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE MOTHERS???

There is a sign when you walk into the gym (if folks bother to read it) that asks you not to  bring a child who is exhibiting symptoms of illness.  One mother actually had the nerve to say 'Oh, I think my daughter is coming down with something'.  I'd like to come down with a hammer on the mother's head.

I have always said that I live in a community where too many folks walk around thinking they are more important than anyone else and that ordinary rules of common decency and behavior (especially when driving a car) do not apply to them.  When I was working for the township, I would send an employee home if they were coughing and tell them to come back with a doctor's note saying they were OK to work.  One actually had pneumonia and insisted she was fine.

My son missed an entire week of work, my grandson and daughter-in-law were both ill, and for what?  Because a couple of selfish parents did not want to miss a gym session that had been paid for in advance?  How about they pay my doctor bills?

OK.  Venting felt good.  Now back to our regularly, though infrequent, blogging schedule.

10 comments:

  1. I hope you feel better soon because I have had what you have and it is not fun at all...not that any illness is fun. I also agree with you 100%! I work as a Credit Counsellor and I can't remember all the times people come in with their kids. The kids are sick and had to stay home but the parents come into our office with a very sick child who is supposed to stay seated for an hour while we talk about their finances. I know their financial issues are important but not at the health of their kids and I certainly don't want the illness. What is sad is that these are the same people who don't show up, often not calling, and it is because it is nice out so they rather be outside and have fun than talk financial stress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and then you are the one feeling stressed. Why are people so inconsiderate?

      Delete
  2. I agree with you wholeheartedly! Stay home if you're sick! And keep those germ-laden kiddos home too. I do hope you get to feeling better soon. Bronchitis is no fun. Take good care of yourself. And good luck with your A-Z posts!

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take care of my grandson so we can avoid 'day-care germ warfare.' And then he gets sick in a gym class for the very same reason: sick kids away from home. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  3. I work from home if I am unwell. I always dread going to a doctors surgery and wonder how they don't get sick.
    Hoping that you are well again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually removed myself from the waiting room to another near-by area. Too many folks sick and coughing and I sure didn't want a new bug.

      Delete
  4. I agree with you about the selfishness and self-importance of some people. I always worked in customer service and no matter how sick I was, my bosses demanded that I show up for work. I hated being around people sick because I knew I was giving them whatever I had. Sometimes, you just have no choice. *sighs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it when I at a business and a worker is sick. Shame on bosses who are so inconsiderate of others, employees and customers. I once had a boss who always came to work when she was sick, shared her germs, and then complained if one of us called in sick.

      Delete
  5. It is irritating that children would be taken to a play group or outing when they are sick. Sometimes, you have to spend the entire winter indoors so that you don't get sick because there are people who don't think about how others might get sick from their lack of consideration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We already took my grandson out of that same gym group this fall. At the very first session some kid was sick and then Charlie was too.

      Delete