Sunday, November 1, 2015

Another Daylight Saving Time Rant

I hate Daylight Saving Time.  I may have said this a few times in previous posts.  A bill has been introduced in Michigan to get rid of it here.  YAY!  Not that it has any chance of passing.

I went online to see if there were any petitions out there to end it nationwide.  I found one and signed it and then had it sent to my U.S. representatives.  I received the following response:

United States Senator Debbie Stabenow - Michigan
Dear Denise,

Thank you for contacting me about your opposition to the change in Daylight Saving Time. I understand your concerns about this issue.

The 2005 energy bill extended Daylight Saving Time by two months, beginning the first Sunday in March and ending the last Sunday in November. This change went into effect in March of 2007. The law also required that the Department of Energy conduct a study of this change and report back to Congress. Following the results of the study, Congress could revert back to the 2005 Daylight Saving Time if the study does not show anticipated reductions in energy consumption. 

In 2008, the Department of Energy released its study on the effect of Daylight Saving time and discovered that the change in time was responsible for reduced household energy consumption.  The results show that the amount of electricity saved nationwide added up to 1.3 billion kilowatt-hours, enough to power about 122,000 average U.S. homes for a year.  As a result of this report, Congress has decided to keep advancing the clock during summer months.  There are currently no bills about Daylight Saving Time before Congress.  Should related legislation come before me in the Senate for a vote, I will keep your concerns in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you and your family.

Sincerely,
Debbie Stabenow

First of all, we do not have DST until the last Sunday in November but since I never voted for this woman it stands to reason that I do not think too highly of her credentials or her knowledge.  Furthermore, I am still not sure how we save so much energy.  We still have the same number of daylight hours.  DST does not cause the sun to shine more.  If I have more light in the evening, then I must have less light in the morning, which means that if I am getting up to go to work, I need to turn on my lights.  Unless, of course I wear night vision goggles.  The high school bus goes down my street at 6:45 AM and it is pretty damn dark out there.

Check out this story about the facts and fiction of DST:  Click here

This is what I think of all these energy audits:  Even though my utility bills are not high, and usually are below average, I am considered an 'energy hog' because studies look at the number of people in the home.  And I live alone.  Now my house would be heated and cooled the same whether I was home alone or had someone else living here.  I would probably use more electricity if there were two people here.  As a matter of fact, I have tracked my usage for years and saw significant drops after each child left home.  

The analysis by the DOE showed a reduction of ONLY 0.03% BTW which certainly is not as impressive a showing as stating it in terms of number of homes.  But lets consider number of homes.  If my community has roughly 25,000 homes, then we are ONLY talking about five communities of roughly 65,000 people nationwide.  

If DST is so great, why not just change the other four months too?  I think we either need one time zone for the nation or at the most two.  No one is traveling by horse and buggy or rail anymore.  

OK.  I'm done for now.  I need to prepare for waking up at 5 AM instead of 6 AM tomorrow.  (I wrote this on Saturday.)

2 comments:

  1. You do get your knickers in a knot about things Denise. I don't find this an item significant enough to worry about. I find it makes no difference to my life, and I have been doing it a lot longer than you. It was supposed to help during the war years but whether it really achieves much today is debatable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you!! I hate it and think it should be gone. I don't believe in the energy costs nor do Farmers need it since they are out at night anyway. My brain and body gets all shifted around and for what? The silly letter you received tells me those letters have to be sent out in droves. Hopefully one day this change will end. I had heard in B.C. there is a movement to end it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.