Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Another Boneheaded Move

Have you ever done something and then wanted to smack yourself on the side of the head?  Well, count me in.  Again.

Ever since I retired I have spent a lot of time in my garden.  Four years ago I decided to make a very concerted effort to figure out what daylilies and hostas I had.  I had decided that this would be my final year of trying to figure everything out.

Relying primarily on the American Hemerocallis Society database, I have tried to identify every daylily that is blooming and making sure it agrees with what I had charted in the past.  (I have charts going back to 1984).

Some daylilies I am sure are long gone, either eaten down by deer and rabbits or just lost to weather.  Or now, it seems, lost by my own stupidity.

I had a daylily bloom early this season and wondered how a wild lily got in the garden.  I thought I had dug them all out.  Weeeell.  It was daylily Helen Spiller.  An orange daylily.  It was growing in two areas and I tossed it from both.  DUH!!!

Maybe some of the bulb and root was left.  I do see one fan that did not flower this year in the same area and I am hoping that perhaps it is Helen.

Oh well.  Live and learn.  At least I did not spray my yard with weed killer and kill the flowers, which is what one of my neighbor's husband did.  She is gladly accepting anything I am tossing out.

While I love the flowers, a friend was marveling at some tree bark in my yard.  Any guesses as to what this is?


7 comments:

  1. This looks like a birch tree to me. They have white bark and can curl like that. I have done so many bone-headed moves i have lost count

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a river's birch. I wouldn't know if I didn't have it.

      Delete
  2. Nope, no idea. Of course I haven't done anything bone headed like that. Well, not today anyway. You do want to kick yourself don't you? Maddening. Never mind, maybe the one left will still be the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also want to kick myself in the butt, because when I was pulling them out around the deck several years ago I wondered how they got there. An old chart shows I planted Helen Spiller there. Oops.

      Delete
  3. I've never seen trees with bark like that. Birch trees are one of my favorites though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River's birch are really exquisite, though their branches snap off easily. I call them self-pruning.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.