Sunday, April 26, 2015

A Sunday Morning Treat

Spring cleaning is not something I have much of an interest in unless it involves my kitchen and food. Friday I was looking to see what items in the fridge needed to be used.  I had some heavy cream, half and half, dried apricots...

Fortunately, the latest catalog from Penzey's Spice had arrived on Thursday and inside was a recipe for Apricot-Orange Cream Scones.  I LOVE scones, both the traditional English scone with currants and the Americanized version that is softer.

This scone recipe is adapted from the one in the magazine and makes a very tender scone.  My son declared them better than the orange scones in a bakery I frequent.


APRICOT CREAM SCONES

2 cups all-purpose flour
3 T sugar
1 T baking powder
2 tsp freshly grated orange peel
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/2 cup chocolate chips; white, semi or milk (I used milk)
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup half and half
1/4 tsp fiori di sicilia or 1/2 tsp almond extract or 1/2 tsp orange extract

1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
2-3 T fresh orange juice

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 
Spray a scone pan with non-stick spray.  Recipe will make 8 large or 16 small scones.  OR, scoop onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, two inches apart.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, orange peel, salt, apricots, and chips.  Stir to mix well and coat the apricots. 

Add the cream, half and half, and flavoring (if using, or you can omit it).  Mix to combine well but do not over-mix, just until liquid is absorbed.

Using a scoop sprayed with non-stick spray, fill scone pan with batter or place on cookie sheet.  Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes in pan. 

Prepare glaze using the powdered sugar and orange juice.  Drizzle over scones.  Enjoy.

Now I'm off to the kitchen for another cup of coffee and the last scone.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge fan of apricots, but those scones look beautiful!
    Visit me at: Life & Faith in Caneyhead
    I am Ensign B of Tremps' Troops
    with the A to Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could substitute almost any dried fruit. Dried cherries would be nice, too.

      Delete
  2. I already commented on your other scone recipe. I always preferred the totally plain scones. Used to visit a restaurant on my way to secretarial college and they had fresh muffins just out of the oven. Both plain and with fruits. Today I wouldn't dare make any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tested a recipe for Cook's illustrated for traditional English scones. They were very good, too. They are not exactly on my WW diet which is why I sent them home with my son. Grandson loved them though we had to pick out the apricots. Not enough teeth to chew them up yet.

      Delete
  3. mmmmmm-they look yummy. I have to mark this recipe down

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.