Monday, October 13, 2014

A Mishmosh Monday

Forty-two years ago today, on a Friday the 13th, I and my husband moved into my current home.  It was a relatively new subdivision 'out in the boonies' and construction would continue for five more years.  I never, ever believed I would be here this long.  There are still two other families on my street who were the original owners of homes here.

Today is also my grandson's six-month birthday.  I am writing this while waiting for my son to drop him off for the day.

Fall, is definitely in the air here.  I've seen frost on the grass in the morning, the leaves are turning orange and red, and you definitely need a jacket if you are out and about.  We had rain last night with a forecast for rain all week.  All of this weather change means lots of fall clean-up.  I've already stowed the outdoor furniture and have started cutting down all of the perennials.  I have out of town guests next week-end and plan to barbecue on the grill, but we will definitely be eating inside.

I had also planned to serve French onion soup next week-end, but my massive kitchen foul-up nixed that idea.  Have you ever done something and just knew something wasn't right?

I make my own chicken stock and freeze it in plastic containers.  Yesterday, I grabbed a container out of the freezer for the soup.  I wondered why it was in a popular plastic container brand rather than what I normally use, but went right on using it.  It even looked a little odd when I opened it, but I still used it.

When the soup was done, I tasted it for seasoning and it tasted terrible.  I thought maybe I had added too much vinegar at the end, so I tried to neutralize it with a bit of baking soda.  It helped, but there was no way I could serve this soup to anyone.

And then it hit me.  It was in the wrong container and looked strange because it was lime juice and not chicken stock.  The label must have come off the container, but I definitely remember putting the lime juice in it and freezing it.

So now, I have no onion soup, wasted a ton of onions, and also have no lime juice for key lime pie.  Good thing it is now pumpkin season.

Today is Columbus Day.  Yesterday, the comic strip Arlo and Janis had a very cute comic about it.  You can view it here.

Enjoy your week.

5 comments:

  1. I write all names directly on the container with a wax pencil - it helps.

    Didn't realise that Columbus didn't know he had found America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's raining here too for our Thanksgiving day and yes we are cooking Turkey. Oh I have screwed up more than one recipe. My favourite one was cooking chicken in the crockpot. I added all the ingredients and it was orange chicken. I added the orange juice like it said. The final ingredient was a little baking powder (I think it was that). Now, I was just dealing with my marital break-up so I blame that:) I added Baking soda! It started foaming over the pot and kept foaming. My mom lived upstairs and I called for her. She came down and saw the volcano chicken mess and started to laugh. I started to cry. It was a mess. It is quite funny now and one for the books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That reminds me of something one of my friends did. Her son called her for a cookie recipe. One of the ingredients she told him was two cups of baking soda. Since he knew nothing about baking, that is what he used. He called her and said the cookies were terrible. She made him read the recipe back to her telling him he must have made an error. When he said 2 cups of baking soda, she looked at her abbreviated notes and realized that BS meant brown sugar, not baking soda. Her mistake, not his. lol

      Delete
  3. I married my pen pal. In on of his letters to me, I asked for the recipe for "Toad In A Hole"...and I was surprised to read that it took 116 sausages!! That is what it looked like to me! It was supposed to be one pound...but written like 1 lb.....if you see what I mean!
    And I like the idea of BS standing for Brown sugar! HA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nowadays, no one knows how to actually 'write' a letter. I am sure there are lots of texts and emails that get misinterpreted with abbreviations.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.