Saturday, January 25, 2014

If You Can't Say Something Interesting....

It has been awhile since I have blogged.  I think I have a good reason, to wit:  If I have nothing really interesting to say, I should keep it to myself.  Or, save it all up for one day.

In this day and age, everyone seems to fancy themselves as a great raconteur.  I do not mean to offend anyone, but a lot of what gets written on the net is really not all that interesting or just TMI.  I include myself in that boring group when I look at some of my earlier postings.  I've even blogged asking the question 'Who reads this stuff?'

Anyway, since I have no hesitation in taking a book back to the library because it is boring (a new James Patterson and the latest Janet Evanovich being examples) or the same old stuff, so I have likewise ditched some blogs I used to follow. 

As for myself, here is a rapid run down of my boring life:

1.  The Weather - While it just started snowing pretty heavily in the last five minutes, it has just been bitterly cold here.  One morning I got up to minus eight degrees F on the outdoor thermometer.  Just as I reached the end of my drive to finish clearing the heavy snowfall of January 5, the clutch cable on my snow blower broke.  I had to order a new one and fortunately a neighbor helped me re-attach it, as the online video directions were useless.  Taking something apart is always easier than putting it back together. 

I went out this morning in the balmy 25 degree sunshine to clear the drive, which is now again covered with snow.  C'est la vie.  I think Michigan should go back to those old license plates that said 'Winter Wonderland'.  So much for 'Global Warming'.  HAH!

2.  Stressing about the small stuff -  A headline on Huffpost said that yesterday everyone panicked over the Gmail inaccessibility.  Really?  The stock market drops and folks are worried about email?  I, for one, did not panic.  When I couldn't get my mail I just walked away.  I lived the greater part of my life without email and I think I can still survive without it.

3.  Speaking of emails, why do folks forward politically incorrect emails to everyone in their address books with no thought as to how it will be received?  Several years ago I told a friend to just stop sending me emails with jokes attached.  The friend was a serious Democrat and constantly sent jokes bashing President Bush.  Now, the tide has turned and its the Republicans sending tasteless jokes about Obama.  And I don't care what party you are in, but I do not find jokes about racial prejudice funny either.  Or those bashing gays and lesbians.  And stop sending stories telling me the facts were verified by 'snopes.com' when simply going to their website will tell me it is false.  Do you think I am ignorant?  Nuf said.  (at this rate I will read no blogs or receive any emails, lol)

4.  Of grand dogs and grand babies - I am going to dog sit this week.  All I can say is I hope he can pee real fast cause it looks to be cold all week.  As for the grand baby on the way, I watched the 3-D ultrasound video last weekend.  How amazing to see him open his eyes and stick out his tongue.  Of course, in some of the poses he resembled a piece of fresh ginger in the supermarket. 

5.  Fresh ginger - Last Saturday I tested a recipe for Cook's Illustrated Magazine.  It was tandoori chicken and was very good.  I used fresh ginger which is probably why that thought occurred to me while watching the video.  This one is definitely a keeper.  Speaking of the show, last week's debut episode for this season on PBS featured the dacquoise that I wrote about twice on this site.  It really is the BEST dessert I have ever tasted.

6.  Television and Books - Cold snowy days and I stay indoors.  While I have been disappointed with the turn that Downton Abbey has taken, Sherlock is back and no disappointment there.  I have also now watched all episodes of the series 'As Time Goes By'.  What wonderful British humor with a great ensemble cast. 

As for the books, I have been reading all of the Alexander McCall Smith books about the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency.  I enjoyed the series on HBO many years ago and an really enjoying the books.

7.  Cleaning - I have been cleaning junk out of my basement.  Lots of junk.  And lots of dust.  I've always regretted not having a full basement, but when it comes to throwing out years' worth of stuff no longer needed, I am glad it is only a half-basement.  It seems hard to believe that I saved all those drawings and cards my boys made for me years ago. 

One son has asked for my 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica with the beautiful maps on onion skin paper.  A teacher gave it to me when I was in fifth grade.   I saw it on eBay for $500 last week.

8.  Work - Yes, I seriously thought about going back to work.  I have spent some time in a local community that has an emergency manager, but I have decided I do not want to make the commitment to be there as a  consultant on an on-going basis.  I am certainly happy to answer questions and offer assistance when I can, but I do not want to go back to yearly training to maintain my certification.  I'll stay happily retired until I'm needed as a babysitter.

Well, I am sure there is more drivel that I can write, but I do not wish to bore anyone with it.  Notice how I stayed away from politics (for now) and religion.  Be thankful.

Have a great weekend and I'll talk to you soon.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't find it boring and enjoyed what you had to say. I do agree with you about the cartoons people send.

    I have been a member of Facebook for a few years and I find a lot of what is posted there is drivel, but it does enable to me to keep up with good friends.

    Hope I am not one you have stopped reading. Of course I don't live an exciting life any more either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meant to say, as a girl I was taught not to talk about politics or religion in a social situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today is the first day I have blogged and done family history research for months. I have missed it but don't need it. Having a break makes it more enjoyable!

    I hope that you scanned and kept a copy of the kids drawings? In years to come, there may be someone who is very interested in them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been reading, decluttering and making every effort not to complain about the weather. I think I'm failing on the last. I keep fresh ginger on hand and it's my new favorite flavor. I started doing this a few weeks ago and it's especially good with tea. Keep warm and cozy!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.