Monday, August 5, 2013

How Yoga, Weight Watchers, and Kidney Meds Landed Me in an Urgent Care Facility

First off, it is not as dire as it sounds...it was a Sunday and I did not want to wait another day to see my doctor.

I have been suffering some dizziness since Thursday morning.  When this has happened in the past it has usually been due to dehydration.  I once passed out at Cedar Point and came to in their little clinic after a short 'ambulance' ride. 

When I had the problem a few months ago, I again blamed it on dehydration.  But since I have been drinking lots of fluids since I re-joined Weight Watchers, I doubted that dehydration was the problem.  And it hasn't exactly been hot enough here to lose a lot of fluids working in the yard.

I slept most of Thursday.  On Friday I managed to get through my yoga class with no problems, but I still did not feel 100%.  Not even 75%.  I went and had a massage in the afternoon and while I felt wonderful afterwards, I decided that going in the whirlpool was probably not a good idea.

When I woke up on Saturday, I decided to forego my kidney pills.  I have had issues with kidney stones for more than ten years and once had surgery to remove a stone that had caused one of my three kidneys to shut down (yes, three, an abnormality I was born with).  I take a diuretic to keep fluids flowing through the kidneys.  I thought that perhaps my blood pressure was dropping too low from the medication and that was causing the dizziness.  So it was another stay at home day until evening when I went for a walk with a friend.  While I felt OK, I was glad to get in the house and sit down. 

On Sunday morning I got up and did my newspaper and coffee routine.  I again skipped the meds.  Then I decided to cut the grass.  It is a good thing I had the lawn mower to hang on to.  That is when I decided to go to the Urgent Care Clinic and see a physician.

After much discussion and some more blood work, I am to stay off the meds until I see my physician next week for my annual physical.  The doctor I saw thinks that my meds along with the weight loss and the relaxation I have experienced in yoga have all combined to cause the drop in blood pressure below acceptable levels.  Yes, my BP was low even without the meds.  So, it is likely that it was too low while taking them.

I guess I could have titled this 'How my healthier lifestyle nearly knocked me out'.  So, now after my healthy breakfast, I will go to my yoga class.  I will relax.  I will be serene.  And I will hope that my head doesn't start spinning again.

Have a good day.

4 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better, seems to me doing things like mowing when you are feeling rough is not a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yoga , Massage, Meditation are good for mental relaxation. It really gives you better feel.

    Aaron |
    Mobile Massage

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to know that you are feeling better, Denise. I hope the doctor gives you cheerful news when you meet him/her next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, hoping you see your Doctor very soon and everything gets resolved fast.

    Lucy from Lucy's Reality

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.