Sunday, June 23, 2013

Officially Summer

It is officially summer.  Even the weather here indicates such.  Hot.  Humid.  Yuck!  I am no fan of the heat, but the flowers are popping so I welcome it for that reason.

This is the time of year when folks seem to throw away their mirrors and dress like - well, I am not sure what to call the way they dress.

First there are the men who take off their shirts and display their flabby skin, stomachs hanging over their belts, with unkempt feet in sandals.  Really?  Do you find this attractive?  Is comfort so important that you dress yourself, or undress yourself, in this manner?

But they are the least of the problem.  The dry scaly feet in sandals are seen on women too.  And while they don't usually go topless, they have no problem prancing around with their bras showing as though they were trying out for back-up on a Madonna video.

When wearing a halter sun dress in public, find a strapless bra.  Please.  No one wants to see your bra straps.  And cleavage in the office is something I never liked either (but then I am a woman, not a man, so maybe they find it acceptable).

Speaking of the office, I will never forget a young female employee who came into my department and I couldn't get my eyes off of her thong flip-flops and rings on her blue toes.  What ever made her think that was office appropriate?

Have we thrown all of our dress codes out the window?  Granted, I spend a lot of time in my yoga pants, but I do not prance around the mall in them.  I wear them to yoga class.  Yet, I continue to see young women at work wearing them.  And not just in the summer.

Maybe I am old-fashioned and not just old, but I still believe that how you dress tells a lot about who you are.  While I will admit to some fashion faux-pas in my day - helped by those saleswomen who tell you you look wonderful-, I try to be conscious of what I am wearing and what others are seeing.  Just because they make stretch pants in size 24 doesn't mean you should be wearing them to work - or wearing hot pants cause you got great legs.

So there.  My summer vent about the clothing I am sure I will see more of, or less of?, in the coming months.  What about you?

4 comments:

  1. I remember being stunned at seeing a bare midrif in the office. I found it most inappropriate.

    You are right, one does see some awful sights in the summer and I do wish men such as you describe would keep their shirts on in public. Don't notice feet much myself. But then I wear shorts and my legs are not the prettiest.

    These days, bra straps don't appear to matter. Whereas we spent great efforts to hide them the youngsters today don't think twice about showing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are 'shorts' and then there are 'SHORTS'. I had an employee show up on casual Friday, which I hated, wearing shorts that barely covered her bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think shorts of any kind are inappropriate at work. When I was younger we never wore pants either. Things change however.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dress code is long gone and my husband fights harder and harder every year about it. The young ones consider 'Business Casual' now as dressing up. Oh, so sad.

    Lucy from Lucy's Reality

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.