Sunday, November 18, 2012

Being 'Online', not 'In line'

This is NOT a blog post about internet shopping.  Rather, it is a post of my first ever website, before I ever heard of blogs. 

Back in the 1990's, West Bloomfield did not host a website of its own.  But my customers were clamoring to pay bills online and have automatic payments for their taxes and water bills. 

Finding a provider for the payments was easy enough at the time, but I still had to have a portal for the residents to go to.  I did it by setting up my own website. 

Those were the days.  I must say that blogging is way easier.  One page and done.  A website?  A separate page for every activity.

I still remember a discussion at a Board meeting when we started discussing a Township website.  When I mentioned that I had been running one for several years, one Trustee told me that mine was not a 'real' website.  Well, I had no idea what he was talking about, but then most times neither did he.  And I don't think anyone had any idea what it took to set up the site and keep it up to date.

Anyway, sitting here at my computer I decided to 'google' my old website address: www.westbloomfieldtreasurer.net .  I found this screen shot of the main page and thought I would reproduce it here.  Seems like nothing ever disappears off the web.

When the Township finally got around to setting up their own site, they just copied everything from my pages.  How easy was that? 

No comments:

Post a Comment