Sunday, November 4, 2012

A Book Review of Sorts

I do not normally review the books I read.  I have mentioned in this blog that I have a 50 page rule - If I am not into it by page 50, I quit.  I make it a habit not to post titles of books I would not recommend. 

This morning when I posted the title of the novel I am now reading, I debated about adding it to the list.  I decided to do so and then post my commentary.

The latest entry is 'The Bone Bed' by Patricia Cornwell.  Normally I am a pretty fast reader, but it has taken me a week to get to page 314.  It is excruciating.  Blah, blah, blah.... Too much non-essential drivel.  I could take a black marker and knock off about 200 pages. 

The main character, Kay Scarpetta, is, according to the author, the smartest, most attractive, culinary whiz, medical examiner, and all-around great person you could ever meet.  I used to like her.  Now I find her tedious.  She has become a drama queen.   And her family and friends are not anyone I would want to be around.  And these are the books' good guys.

And it is not just me.  I googled reviews of the book and found many people who felt exactly as I do.
 (One reviewer must have dozed off while reading or skipped some pages because they talk about the body and the tortoise being recovered from Canadian waters. Last I checked, the water off Boston Harbor was still American.)

I should have known better than to even start the book.  The last entry in this series wasted way too much time rehashing what had happened in the previous book.  My consolation is that I get the books from the library and do not spend my own money to read them.

I did get a chuckle when I googled 'the bone bed reviews'.  The first thing that popped up was 'mattress reviews'.  You'll need a good one if you are going to plow through this book.  I just hope the end of the story is worth my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.