Saturday, November 10, 2012

A Birthday Treat

Tomorrow is my birthday.  I've always enjoyed having a birthday that falls on a legal holiday.  Having spent most of my working life employed by municipal government, I have never had to work on my birthday.  Even when  I worked in the City hospital, if I got scheduled on my birthday, I traded with someone.

I suppose that not working should be 'treat' enough, but occasionally over the years I would take a special trip or buy myself something special.  One year I even bought little gifts for my staff.

Today I baked a 'Tunnel of Fudge' cake.  If you were around in 1966, you most certainly heard of this cake.  It won the Pillsbury Bake-off contest.  It was a wonderful chocolate cake, made from a cake mix and frosting, that had a gooey chocolate center. 

Alas, the cake mix was discontinued.  A boxed version of the cake appeared, but it was not the same.  I even tried recipes online that supposedly duplicated the cake.  Well, not quite.

Recently I was out shopping and found a Tunnel of Fudge cake mix from Nordic Ware, maker of the THE Bundt pan.  Unfortunately, it too has failed the taste test.  I've decided to turn it into a trifle with some vanilla pudding .

I am going to serve it tomorrow with another treat of lobster macaroni and cheese.  This tried and true recipe is sure to please once again.

Birthdays only come once a year, so enjoy them while you can.

1 comment:

  1. I remember the Tunnel of Fudge cakes. They were so good. Happy birthday wishes. I hope you have a wonderful day and a great year!

    ReplyDelete