Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Taking it One Day at a Time

I have a cold.  A really awful head cold.  I never get head colds.  I can't remember the last time I had one.  Allergy attacks in the Spring?  Yes.  An attack of the norovirus in 2007 that sent me to the ER?  Yes.  Strep throat and an ear infection in 1999 just three days before my flight to Paris?  Yes.  Sinus infections?  Lots.  But a plain old head cold? 

Growing up I always had respiratory issues.  I had bouts of bronchitis, viral pneumonia, and pleurisy.  But once I moved away from home and the constant exposure to cigarette smoke, my health improved greatly.

So, when I suddenly felt like I had been hit by a truck last Thursday afternoon, I thought it had to be something more than 'just a cold'.  I mean, one minute I am having lunch with a friend and an hour later I am miserable.  Fever, running nose, dizziness. 

Alas, when all is said and done this has turned out to be nothing more than a bad cold.  I had seven empty Kleenex boxes in the recycle bin this morning.   The last time I used that many boxes of tissues my cousin got married and we made flowers for the cars.  (BTW, does anyone still do that?)

I've gotten past the continual nose drip and worked my way up to (or down to) the hacking cough stage.  I've accomplished absolutely nothing for the past five days other than sterilizing all my dishes that I have used.  Thank goodness for the 'SaniCycle' on dishwashers.  Actually, I've had no appetite and most of the dishes consisted of spoons for honey and tea cups.  I've had so much Assam tea I have an urge to go buy a sari.

The websites all say to let it run its course of one to two weeks.  That I can easily do.  If there is one thing I have learned about being ill, it is that we gain nothing by trying to be super women and avoiding taking it easy.  Call me 'lazy' or whatever, I do not care.  I have nothing to prove to anyone.  I just want to feel better. 

When I worked at the hospital, I had a supervisor who bragged that she never took a sick day, she came in and did her job no matter what.  I turned to her and said that she was right.  She came in sick when she was infectious and made everyone else sick in the process.  Some hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.