Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Laws that Make no Sense

For everyone who thinks their elected officials are complete idiots, let me join in the chorus with you.  I know.  I know.  I was one for over 20 years.  But did anyone ever think I was stupid?  Don't answer, that was rhetorical.

Anyway, I am all riled up again about the tax on pensions in Michigan.  This state, which now has a huge surplus, will have an even larger one next year thanks to the Republicans who thought taxing pensions was a good idea.

A friend and I were having a conversation today and she mentioned that she filled out the form for income tax on her pension and while doing so discovered that she does not have to pay.

Why, you ask?  Because her husband was born in 1945.  That's why.  So even though she is three years younger than I am, her filing is based on her husband's age, not hers.  Her public pension will be untaxed.

Does any of this make sense to you?  It sure as hell does not make sense to me.  Since Michigan does not have different income tax rates based on whether one is married or single (at least I don't remember a difference), why should the pension tax be based on the age of an older spouse?

Seems like all the more reason to move to some place that respects the elderly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.