Sunday, December 4, 2011

Just a Sign of the Times

This morning's paper has a column by Mitch Albom on teenagers and time spent on the internet.  I read the article and proceeded to finish my paper without giving it much thought.

Once finished, I came into my office to read my email.  There were the usual 20 emails from companies I subscribe to for info, mostly just deleted, and then there were the good ones:  the emails that are from other retirees I know.

I can tell you what retirees do on the internet.  They find amusing stories and funny jokes and send them to everyone in their address books, who then forward them on if they so desire.

I've had one friend whom I asked to remove me from his list because his emails were very tasteless, and sexist, in my opinion.  I do not forward all the 'if you love God' emails, since I don't presuppose who does and doesn't.  I had one friend send me a nasty reply that she was not retired and really had no time to read any of these emails.  A pity that she is so over-worked but, OK, and moving right along.

The other day I received an email that purportedly had been sent around to 25 million people asking them to add their name to a petition supporting a certain president for re-election.  There was one signature, his wife.  I'm guessing this might be the kind of email that offends people so I tend to pick and choose who it goes to.

This morning I received an email that is certainly indicative of the times we live in.  I read an article last week about how polarized and out-of-touch our two political parties have become.  If criticizing politicians offends you, you can stop reading now.



A driver was stuck in a traffic jam on the highway outside Washington, DC. Nothing was moving.

Suddenly, a man knocks on the window.

The driver rolls down the window and asks, "What's going on?"

"Terrorists have kidnapped Congress, and they're asking for a $100 million dollar ransom.
Otherwise, they are going to douse them all in gasoline and set them on fire. We are going from car to car, collecting donations."

"How much is everyone giving, on average?" the driver asks.

The man replies, "Roughly, a gallon."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.