Monday, November 21, 2011

Reality TV and Food

I always say I do not watch reality TV, but that is not really true.  When I say that, I mean that I do not watch the dancing and talent shows and other mindless, no plot involved 'entertainment'. 

I have watched reality shows when my kids were here controlling the remote, including 'Hogs Gone Wild' among others.

Left to my own devices, I watch the cooking channels and HGTV.  So, technically, I watch reality TV, but at least on the Food Network I can learn something useful.  (I doubt I will be hunting wild boar in my backyard, but you never know, I guess).

One of the Food Network shows is called 'Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives'.  It is hosted by Guy Fieri.  I mention this because on Monday, November 28 at 10 p.m. his show will feature the Traffic Jam and Snug in Detroit, MI.

The restaurant opened near the Wayne State University campus in 1965.  Not having cash to eat there as a poor student at the time, it was a few years before I made it through the doors.  It was well worth the wait.

For all of you 'foodies' out there who live in Michigan or plan to visit, there is a website that lists Michigan restaurants featured on various TV shows.  I have eaten at a few of these places. 

Of the shows I have seen, my favorite has to be the one on Food Wars with Bobby Flay.  American Coney Island faced off against Lafayette Coney Island.  I have that 'taste test' on my bucket list of foods to try.  While I have eaten at both places, I've never actually eaten coneys back-to-back to compare.  Might be interesting.

So, don't forget to watch next Monday night at 10 pm on the Food Network to see a local favorite highlighted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.